Tuesday 21 December 2021

A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)

Speaking of the original mono mix:

The Hi-Fi mono track on the old Shell VHS tape is superb. The copy that was captured and shared with me has a bit of wear, which you can hear in the clip below (the occasional ticks and pops), but it still runs circles around every later release.

I haven't heard the LaserDisc, but as I understand it might be stereo. (If anyone can confirm this, I'd appreciate it.)

The first DVD from Paramount sounds terrible. I previously assumed it was sourced from dupe materials, but it could very well just be nuclear noise reduction that has intruded on the music and dialogue.

The later Warner DVD sounds better than the Paramount DVD but still has considerable hiss reduction that has left everything veiled. It's also extremely bassy. The 5.1 track on the blu-ray and the UHD (both identical) share the same general EQ and level of noise reduction.




No comments:

Post a Comment